Re: [alpine-devel] rethinking the building infra

From: A. Wilcox <awilfox_at_adelielinux.org>
Date: Wed, 7 Feb 2018 17:39:13 -0600

On 02/07/18 16:53, Oliver Smith wrote:
> What I mean is having packages directly in the binary repository, so
> one can do: $ apk add gcc-armhf
>
> Just like it's possible to install gcc-avr right now. But gcc-avr
> package needs to be manually synced with the gcc aport. Instead of
> that it would be nice, if we had cross-compilers automatically built
> for all architectures, without running bootstrap.sh. Possibly as
> subpackage of gcc (but that's probably not the desired solution,
> since that will blow up the build time of GCC drastically). I think
> that this might be relevant to cross-compiling in the binary
> repository, because once such packages in the binary repo exist, it
> would be a clean way to install the cross-compiler in the compiling
> VM/container with apk.

We (Adélie) do this on x86_64 and ppc64 arches already (both of them
have various gcc-* binutils-* etc). It would be cool if Alpine wanted
to do that. And necessary, if kernels are cross-built.

> For package specific variables, we export them in the APKBUILD. We
> only pass them through abuild for package independent variables, such
> as: CARCH, CROSS_COMPILE, CC, CCACHE_PREFIX, CCACHE_PATH,
> CCACHE_COMPILERCHECK, DISTCC_HOSTS

CARCH and CROSS_COMPILE makes sense, since they are used by abuild. CC,
CCACHE_*, and DISTCC_* make more sense in /etc/abuild.conf imo.

> Alpine's linux-vanilla APKBUILD used to have a menuconfig() function
> with a comment on top saying something like "# This is so we can use
> 'abuild menuconfig'". But I just realized that this was removed.
> Well, we still use that feature for that purpose. But if that did not
> work anymore in abuild, we could call menuconfig directly.

Yes, I personally think this is a bad idea and abuses the fact that
APKBUILD files are `source`d by abuild. It is better to remove from the
APKBUILD. I would even be in favour of having a little shell script in
the linux-vanilla package or such that takes CARCH and CROSS_COMPILE
like abuild does, and calls menuconfig properly for you. But not
directly from the APKBUILD.

Best,
--arw

--