Alpine 'virtual' ISO contents

From: A. Wilcox <awilfox_at_adelielinux.org>
Date: Thu, 8 Feb 2018 01:02:33 -0600

Hi there Alpinists,

It has been a long time since I had to install a new Alpine server from
the ISO; typically, it is on a hypervisor under my control, so I just do
it from the host with chroot. Trying to set up this Alpine system using
the Virtual ISO (which is the only choice this provider gives for
Alpine), I had a number of small issues that could be easier if the
Alpine ISO had just a little bit more installed on it by default:

- There is no LVM utility on the virtual ISO. I believe busybox can be
compiled with device-mapper libraries and function as a callable `lvm`
binary with subcommands like vgchange, lvcreate, etc, if the full `lvm2`
package is considered too large.

- There is no `file` binary on the virtual ISO.

- There is no `e2fsprogs` package on the virtual ISO.

It does seem like `setup-disk` tries to use `apk add`, but there's no
repositories that have any of these packages available unless you use
`setup-apkrepos` and have a live internet connection available. It
seems rather silly to download the ISO once, burn or connect it to the
machine somehow, then have to have every VM re-download those packages
just to install.

Thanks for the consideration.

All the best,
--arw