Re: [alpine-devel] Proposed change: openssl 1.1 as default system openssl implementation

From: Kevin Chadwick <m8il1ists_at_gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 9 Feb 2018 13:07:15 +0000

On Thu, 8 Feb 2018 12:19:22 -0600

> This is a maintanence burden that prevents the Alpine community from
> focusing on important issues. What is better: "making a stand" for
> LibreSSL (which does not even care about Linux or ABI compatibility),

I just want to add that I think that this is unfair. OpenBSD goes out of
it's way for portability but they won't ignore things like encouraging
poor RNG handling which has ended with great improvements in Linux.

A more accurate statement would be that OpenBSD goals of simplicity and
security are not aligned with Linux goals of uptime and mass adoption.
OpenBSD also obviously has less man power as they desire to, in some
ways.