Re: [alpine-devel] Proposed change: openssl 1.1 as default system openssl implementation

From: William Pitcock <nenolod_at_dereferenced.org>
Date: Fri, 9 Feb 2018 14:00:55 -0600

Hello,

On Fri, Feb 9, 2018 at 1:09 PM, Kevin Chadwick <m8il1ists_at_gmail.com> wrote:
> On Fri, 9 Feb 2018 12:28:20 -0600
>

>> > "Sorry but you can forget running alpine on your RPI/old x86,
>> > but don't worry, you still have LibreSSL!"
>>
>> ...and MIPS SoCs, and routers, and AmigaOnes, and Power Mac G3/G4s,
>> and if RISC-V ever ships, and a lot of the phones and tablets that
>> postmarketOS are targeting...
>
> I understand and I know this doesn't help now but how far away is the
> Linux fix?

Syscall ABI is defined per architecture, but on the architectures we
care about, it will probably be a year or two before the new syscall
ABI is ready. Unfortunately, the Linux kernel does not have the same
advantages of rapid iteration that the OpenBSD guys have, since
OpenBSD has a small install base, it does not really matter if there
are problems in the short term, since enthusiasts are the ones who use
OpenBSD.

Linux developers are converting the syscalls one at a time.

> It is past the point where Linux needs to fix this before offline
> devices are deployed that may still be running in 20 years.
>
> Admittedly Pi HW/flash may not last that long from the irresponsible
> suppliers that may develop such devices but the number will be
> increasing.

We certainly agree that time_t should have been moved to 64-bit a long time ago.

William