Re: [alpine-devel] Proposed change: openssl 1.1 as default system openssl implementation

From: A. Wilcox <awilfox_at_adelielinux.org>
Date: Fri, 9 Feb 2018 14:27:57 -0600

On 02/09/18 14:15, William Pitcock wrote:
> On Fri, Feb 9, 2018 at 2:12 PM, Natanael Copa <ncopa_at_alpinelinux.org> wrote:
>> I just learned that the time_t issue is resolved:
>> https://github.com/libressl-portable/openbsd/commit/362ffef32c0fcae703d57838e9f5704240a63213
>
> According to who? They just try to make the math still work with
> time_t. The only way to be truly conformant is to use TAI64N math.

That also doesn't help with things like Qt 5, py-cryptography <1.9,
kamailio, rust/cargo, kleopatra, ...

Also, some of the patches Alpine carries are already showing age by
bringing packages to 2.5 API. As LibreSSL's ABI continues to churn,
these patches will need to be further maintained. Some upstreams do not
care or want to deal with it, and indeed some upstreams are dead with no
good replacements yet. The maintenance burden for a project as small as
Alpine seems disproportionate to the benefits LibreSSL would bring.

But at the end of the day, I suppose it isn't my call.

--arw

--
A. Wilcox (awilfox)
Project Lead, Adélie Linux