Re: [alpine-devel] abuild does not handle tags for makedepends

From: William Pitcock <nenolod_at_dereferenced.org>
Date: Sat, 10 Feb 2018 08:06:24 -0600

Hello,

On Sat, Feb 10, 2018 at 7:58 AM, Ferris Ellis <ferris_at_ferrisellis.com> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> This is my first post to this group! So I apologize in advance if there's a
> format I should be following and am not.
>
> I seem to have found a bug in abuild and went to file it but saw that
> Github's clone of abuild currently has issues disabled. Thus I thought I'd
> post it here. If there's somewhere else this should be filed please let me
> know and I'm happy to do it :)
>
> Issue
>
> I am running Alpine 3.7 and working on packaging buildah
> (https://github.com/projectatomic/buildah) for it. I added "go" to
> makedepends with the line makedepends="go_at_community=1.9.2-r1" however when I
> attempt to build the package I get the following error:
>
> ERROR: unsatisfiable constraints:
> go-1.9.2-r1:
> masked in: _at_community
>
> This seems to indicate that abuild isn't grabbing the tag. I thought maybe I
> had formatted it wrong but when moving the tag to the end I get back the
> following:
>
> ERROR: 'go=1.9.2-r1_at_community' is not a valid dependency, format is
> name(_at_tag)([<>~=]version)

That message is actually from apk-tools, not abuild, and in this
particular case is misleading. What abuild does is attach a
dependency set to a virtual package and then marks that virtual
package as a "world dependency".

Package dependencies themselves do not support tags, only "world
dependencies," but if you add just "go" to makedepends I believe it
will fall back to the _at_community repo.

In general though, community is not meant to be masked, the point of
using tags is to mask repos across versions, such as running a split
stable-edge setup, or ensuring that adding packages from the "testing"
repo requires explicit confirmation. Either way, community should
normally be set up in the same way as main.

William