Re: [alpine-devel] RFC: Introducing tools-base meta package

From: A. Wilcox <awilfox_at_adelielinux.org>
Date: Mon, 12 Feb 2018 11:28:22 -0600

On 02/12/18 07:26, Cág wrote:
> I threw away busybox and other "core/base" packages (they are, as a
> matter of fact, present because of dependencies but are dummy and
> contain nothing) and replaced them with:
>
> sbase - portable Unix utilities (cat, du, ls etc.);

I am vaguely interested in this. Does it implement POSIX options?

> ubase - unportable Linux utilities (mount, ps, dd etc.);
> sinit - a simple init;

Does this integrate with other service managers (like OpenRC, s6) or
does it only work with svc? Do you have a link?

> svc - service management (init scripts were brought from stali and
> Morpheus);
> vis - a text editor (sbase has a very ed implementation);
> mksh - a shell;

I probably would have gone with dash or pksh, but mksh isn't terrible.
Its ideas of built-ins is definitely unique. I use this on my 486.

> nawk - the One True Awk;
> pigz - for gzip
> iproute2 - for various net utilities;
> sdhcp - a small DHCP client;

Haven't heard of this one, is it from the same people as sbase?

> curses - NetBSD curses.

Have you looked in to pdcurses? How does it compare?

> What's missing (stty, patch, diff etc.) can be pulled from BSDs or
> Heirloom.

Adélie ships heirloom-devtools if you want Real Unix make, m4, lex,
yacc, etc in APK format :)

Best,
--arw

--