Re: [alpine-devel] RFC: Introducing tools-base meta package

From: Laurent Bercot <ska-devel_at_skarnet.org>
Date: Mon, 12 Feb 2018 17:57:40 +0000

>>ubase - unportable Linux utilities (mount, ps, dd etc.);
>>sinit - a simple init;
>
>Does this integrate with other service managers (like OpenRC, s6) or
>does it only work with svc? Do you have a link?

  Most of the relevant suckless stuff can be found at
https://core.suckless.org/ - and that includes sdhcp. I haven't tested
many of their programs, but I have looked at sbase+ubase, and
it's clean. Cleaner than busybox; I still need to compare it to
toybox.

  sinit just forks a one-time init script at boot time and then
enters its reaping loop. So it will integrate with any service
manager you want.
  However, it's not a correct init, because it doesn't supervise
anything, so kill -9 -1 will brick the machine. (This is the same
problem that dalias' init has.) For this reason, I do not recommend it.

--
  Laurent