Concerns regarding the ImageMagick package

From: A. Wilcox <awilfox_at_adelielinux.org>
Date: Fri, 23 Mar 2018 03:07:57 -0500

Hello Alpinists,

We (at Adélie) have identified a few issues with the Alpine ImageMagick
package:

1) The version of Ghostscript packaged in main/ghostscript is AGPL, not
GPL. I believe it violates the licenses of both packages to link them
together, and yet this is happening.

I highly suggest that Alpine ship Ghostscript 9.06, the last GPL
version, along with Debian's security patches for it. We had to do this
when we were based on Gentoo (see
https://code.foxkit.us/adelie/packages/blob/ebuild/app-text/ghostscript-gpl/ghostscript-gpl-9.06.ebuild
for the ebuild I wrote) because Gentoo's CUPS depends on Ghostscript.
If an APKBUILD for Ghostscript 9.06 is desired, I would be more than
happy to create one.

2) ImageMagick's X11 support is disabled. I would understand that,
allowing one to use ImageMagick without installing X11 libraries, but
ImageMagick is linked against librsvg, which is linked against pango.
As shown on the Alpine package browser[1], pango pulls in libX11 and
libXext, which are ImageMagick's only X11 library dependencies. As
such, no makedepends/checkdepends modifications are technically
necessary to change to --with-x (though libx11-dev and libxext-dev would
be a good idea). Since this adds a lot of functionality and virtually
no binary size difference, we think it'd be a good idea to investigate this.

Best,
--arw

[1]: https://pkgs.alpinelinux.org/package/edge/main/s390x/pango

--