Re: [alpine-devel] Concerns regarding the ImageMagick package

From: A. Wilcox <awilfox_at_adelielinux.org>
Date: Thu, 29 Mar 2018 15:31:49 -0500

On 03/29/18 10:06, Natanael Copa wrote:
> I would prefer not use an old/abandoned version of ghostscript.
>
> It looks like you can build imagemagick with --without-libgs and the
> pdf.so plugin will execute an external program instead of link directly
> to libgs. This means that we can work around the link time license issues.
>
> I have tested and the pdf.so plugin is built but not linked with libgs.
> I have not tested if it actually works though.

I'll investigate this further; I wasn't aware the pdf.so plugin was
built anyway when --without-libgs was passed.

> If we go that route we need to either:
> - document the optional dependency for ghostscript
> - manually add ghostscript as an explicit dependency
> - move pdf.so and gs.so plugins to a separate subpackage
> (imagemagick-pdf?) and add ghostscript as dependency for those.

The subpackage might be a good idea. Then the deps are explicit but
only for those that need it.

> We could maybe even separate out the imagemagick pdf and gs plugins
> anyways. That way you only get the license problem when you install the
> plugin?
>
>> 2) ImageMagick's X11 support is disabled. I would understand that,
>> allowing one to use ImageMagick without installing X11 libraries, but
>> ImageMagick is linked against librsvg, which is linked against pango.
>> As shown on the Alpine package browser[1], pango pulls in libX11 and
>> libXext, which are ImageMagick's only X11 library dependencies. As
>> such, no makedepends/checkdepends modifications are technically
>> necessary to change to --with-x (though libx11-dev and libxext-dev would
>> be a good idea). Since this adds a lot of functionality and virtually
>> no binary size difference, we think it'd be a good idea to investigate this.
>
> Good idea. I will look into that.
>
> Alternatively we could put the svg.so plugin in a subpackage. Then we
> don't pull in the X11 libs til someone explicitly asks for svg support.

I may be in the minority, but I primarily use ImageMagick (the package,
not -libs) for display(1) functionality, so for me I'd like X11 support.

I don't know if the X11 support can be put in an -x11 package or not
because I'm not sure what apps end up linked to libX11 and libXext. I
will look in to that as well.

Best,
--arw

--