[alpine-devel] How to improve quality control for patch reviews

From: Natanael Copa <ncopa_at_alpinelinux.org>
Date: Thu, 26 Jul 2018 14:15:58 +0200

Hi!

We have had a few complaints from Jakub Jirutka about qualtiy control.

A recent example is
https://github.com/alpinelinux/aports/commit/6c21984c5b86ca03c72a88927f8c1de0c420e25f#commitcomment-29834072

We do struggle with keep up with the PR queue and at the same time do
good enough quality control. I also think we may have different
opinions what is good enough.

I wonder if you have any ideas how we deal with this?

A few things I think we can do:

- improve documentation. Write documentation with a simple checklist
  you can look over before you submit a PR. For example, "check that
  license is in SPDX format[1]", "check that it does not automatically
  start services from pre-install", etc. This will make it easier for
  people doing patch reviews and can be useful when adding automated
  checks.

- add more automatic checks

- give more people push access. Look for people that are candidates to
  get push access. Help them to improve. Follow up when they are "good
  enough".

Any other ideas or thoughts?

-nc

1: https://spdx.org/licenses/