Re: [alpine-devel] How to improve quality control for patch reviews

From: Drew DeVault <sir_at_cmpwn.com>
Date: Thu, 26 Jul 2018 08:27:20 -0400

Hey Natanael, I haven't been active much recently but I do have some
thoughts here.

On 2018-07-26 2:15 PM, Natanael Copa wrote:
> - improve documentation. Write documentation with a simple checklist
> you can look over before you submit a PR. For example, "check that
> license is in SPDX format[1]", "check that it does not automatically
> start services from pre-install", etc. This will make it easier for
> people doing patch reviews and can be useful when adding automated
> checks.

Docs are great but linters are much better (something you alluded to).

> - add more automatic checks

I'm working on a service, sr.ht[0], which provides a number of services
including mailing lists[1] and continuous integration[2]. One feature I
want to support is creating CI builds from patches sent to mailing lists
(including off-site lists), and I already have a thing which can wire up
GitHub pull requests to CI builds.

[0] https://sr.ht
[1] https://lists.sr.ht/~sircmpwn
[2] https://builds.sr.ht/job/5448

These builds could run in a fresh Alpine install (full virt with KVM)
and attempt to build the package, catching any missing makedeps or
ghostly dependencies like the example you gave suffered from, run a
linter, and report the results back to the ML or the GitHub PR.

Would something like that be useful for Alpine?