Re: [alpine-devel] GitHub aports automation improvements

From: Natanael Copa <ncopa_at_alpinelinux.org>
Date: Thu, 26 Jul 2018 22:51:02 +0200

On Mon, 16 Jul 2018 05:08:56 -0400
Chris Ely <tcely_at_icloud.com> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> To help address the backlog of PRs on the aports repository I'm
> suggesting more automation to make things easier all around.

I would love more automation.

> 1. https://probot.github.io/apps/invite-contributors/
> <https://probot.github.io/apps/invite-contributors/>
> Configuration: .github/invite-contributors.yml isOutside: true
>
> 2. https://github.com/zalando/zappr
> <https://github.com/zalando/zappr> Configuration: .zappr.yaml
> approvals:
> minimum: 3
> from:
> collaborators: true
> orgs:
> - alpinelinux
> pattern: "^(:\\+1:|*)$"
> veto:
> pattern: "^(:\\-1:|*)$"

I like those.

> 3. https://probot.github.io/apps/dep/
> <https://probot.github.io/apps/dep/>

We sort of have dependencies in our redmine tracker, which is our
official bug tracker.

> 4. https://probot.github.io/apps/wip/
> <https://probot.github.io/apps/wip/>

This looks good.

> 5.
> https://zapier.com/apps/github/integrations/mattermost/13208/post-new-github
> <https://zapier.com/apps/github/integrations/mattermost/13208/post-new-github>

we don't use mattermost, but I wouldn't mind connect it as long someone
else does the job and maintains it.

> Also, since the master branch is being managed external to GitHub,
> I'd suggest protecting that branch and making a new one (e.g. github)
> that can be used to quickly merge the PRs to. This will allow simple
> use of the GitHub web interface to merge PRs using squash / rebase /
> merge commits to that branch from which you can move those commits to
> master in your external repository. You could do this with patch sets
> or setup github as a remote or some other preferred way.
>
> The idea behind this workflow is that contributors get invited after
> their first contribution and from that point on can help with merging
> new PRs into the github branch but would not be able to change the
> master branch (as that's hosted external to GitHub and protected).
> This way you can get a pool of contributors helping out with simple
> changes and give the developers a single source to find the changes
> that have been community approved.
>
> Thoughts?

I am sceptic to have a parallel branch on github only since I am afraid
it will diverge from master branch.

That said, if collaborators can rebase it, then it would be great
to simply do a single pull request.

Other worry I have is that I don't want make it a hard requirement to
have github account to be able to contribute.