Re: [alpine-devel] How to improve quality control for patch reviews

From: Chris Ely <tcely_at_icloud.com>
Date: Mon, 30 Jul 2018 15:15:01 -0400

> On Jul 29, 2018, at 4:47 PM, Jean-Louis Fuchs <ganwell_at_fangorn.ch> wrote:
>
> Hi
>
> On Thu, Jul 26, 2018, at 05:15, Natanael Copa wrote:
>> - give more people push access. Look for people that are candidates to
>> get push access. Help them to improve. Follow up when they are "good
>> enough".
>
> In theory you don't need push access to review a PR:
>
> - If there is a problem anybody can state it on github or the mailinglist
> - If one thinks the PR is ok one can write "looks good to me"

The problem I've seen with this approach is that PRs don't change state until someone with "write" access to the aports repository on GitHub comes along. If the set of people with "push" access to git.alpinelinux.org is relatively small and the subset of those people with write access on GitHub is even smaller, I don't see how keeping up with aports changes is going to remain possible.

> Idea: maybe it is possible that more people are allowed to add a label: "looks good", but without push access. So people with push access can work faster.

This is the idea behind pull request approvals. I've suggested using https://github.com/zalando/zappr for this in a previous email to this list.

We'll need to determine the best way to expand the pool of of people who can change a PRs labels / assignments, etc. on GitHub. I think collaborators is a good way, but that hasn't been tested yet, as far as I know. Ultimately, an accepted PR can't really be "complete" until it gets merged into master back on git.alpinelinux.org. Expanding the number of people with "push" access to git.alpinelinux.org might just be unavoidable here as the amount of work increases with every new active software package.