Re: [alpine-devel] Julia missing from alpine v3.8

From: Jean-Louis Fuchs <ganwell_at_fangorn.ch>
Date: Sat, 08 Sep 2018 15:19:50 +0200

Hi ecsx

You're absolutely right, these things should be upstreamed and that is also what keeps me from doing it. I don't know anything about julia. It is too scary for me:

* Their build-system is completely hand-written, so as a maintainer you have to find out everything you know about standard build-systems again
* Then almost every patch for 0.6.2 fails with 1.0.0 and most not because the issues are fixed
* Too many tests fail

Complicated packages are quite common, julia isn't alone. But it requires a lot of dedication to get it working and then get fixes upstreamed.

You are very welcome to give it a try. I would help you to get started with alpine development. We can talk on IRC.

Best,
  Jean-Louis