Re: [alpine-devel] Alpine and armv7

From: Timo Teräs <timo.teras_at_gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 19 Sep 2018 17:43:02 +0300

Hi

On Wed, 19 Sep 2018, 16.47 Natanael Copa, <ncopa_at_alpinelinux.org> wrote:

> On Wed, 19 Sep 2018 14:38:56 +0300
> Timo Teräs <timo.teras_at_gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > Hi,
> >
> > I think we have the triplet already in scripts and everywhere. It is just
> > matter of starting builders and making sure all builds. Maybe add
> arch=arm
> > that covers armhf and armv7.
> >
> > I suppose the main reason for going with armv6 was rpi1 which was the
> only
> > rpi at the time.
> >
> > We had also limited build power for arm, but the situation is much better
> > now with aarch64 builders that can do arm too.
> >
> > I was just making chrome build on armhf, but seems very tricky to do
> armv6
> > build of it. I ended up shipping armv7 build in armhf for now. Seems many
> > care of armv7+ or armv4 only...
> >
> > I would be in favor of starting armv7 builders now. And maybe drop armhf
> > release cycle or two.
> >
> > _at_ncopa What do you think?
>
> I am in favor of this too. Do we need add armv7 while keeping armhf as
> armv6? Or can we simply replace the current armhf build with armv7?
> Then the triplet would correspond better with debian, if i understand
> things correctly.

Let's keep armhf still for a while. I suggest we bootstrap armv7 on x86-64
and start new builder edge/armv7. Once all builds, we can poll how many
still need armhf.

And yes armv7 is more common now than armhf. Raspbian originally was armhf
equivalent. Rpi1 was the only major benefiter.

I can bootstrap armv7 packages. And put them somewhere.

Meanwhile, we probably want to patch aports to change all arch places from
armhf to armhf+armv7, or potentially add "arm" as umbrella for all the
32bit arm builds and change armhf to that. Maybe someone can do that while
I prepare the initial package set cross built.

Timo