Re: [alpine-devel] Alpine and armv7

From: Oliver Smith <ollieparanoid_at_bitmessage.ch>
Date: Thu, 20 Sep 2018 05:06:00 +0000

Michael Wyraz:
> Hello,
>
> the new arch support is great but I hope you keep armv6 alive. E.g. many
> Raspberry (including "zero" Models from 2017 and 2018) are armv6.
> Alpine, especially in "diskless" mode is ideal for that kind of devices.

If that is possible, I'm also in favor of keeping armhf around (for the
relevant Raspberry Pis, and so we can support armv6 phones in
postmarketOS). I thought it was unrealistic, that's why I proposed to
replace it.

> Kind regards,
>
> Michael.
>

>> On Wed, 19 Sep 2018 17:43:02 +0300
>> Timo Teräs <timo.teras_at_gmail.com> wrote:

>>> Let's keep armhf still for a while. I suggest we bootstrap armv7 on
>>> x86-64 and start new builder edge/armv7. Once all builds, we can poll
>>> how many still need armhf.
>>>
>>> And yes armv7 is more common now than armhf. Raspbian originally was
>>> armhf equivalent. Rpi1 was the only major benefiter.
>>>
>>> I can bootstrap armv7 packages. And put them somewhere.
>>>
>>> Meanwhile, we probably want to patch aports to change all arch places
>>> from armhf to armhf+armv7, or potentially add "arm" as umbrella for
>>> all the 32bit arm builds and change armhf to that. Maybe someone can
>>> do that while I prepare the initial package set cross built.

I did the armhf+armv7 solution here:
https://github.com/alpinelinux/aports/pull/5208

>> Initial bootstrap build completed.
>>
>> Packages are at:
>> http://dev.alpinelinux.org/~tteras/armv7/
>>
>> Let's start a new edge builder using those.
>>
>> Timo

Wow, I did not expect that someone starts working on it right away.
Thank you Timo, this is awesome!

Best regards,
Oliver