Re: [alpine-devel] Proposal: Multi-Arch matrix builds on travis-ci

From: Jean-Louis Fuchs <ganwell_at_fangorn.ch>
Date: Fri, 21 Sep 2018 21:44:20 +0200

Hi

On Wed, 19 Sep 2018, at 11:17, Jakub Jirutka wrote:

> I didn't use it in aports intentionally, because it's *very* slow. Many
> aports would fail to build due to exceeding the time limit (50 minutes)
> and it would significantly increase waiting time for all builds (due to
> exhausted job queue).

There was or is bug in qemu-user-static, that made it terribly slow. This version:

$> ./qemu-arm-static --version
qemu-arm version 2.9.1(qemu-2.9.1-2.fc26)

is definitely ok, I haven't tested any newer ones. In my opinion most builds should not fail due time limit on travis. BUT the tests sometimes do, after all its not the correct kernel. I am moving towards qemu-system using netboot for my development. netboot boots surprisingly consistent across architectures. You can append apkovl= to provision the VM.

Best,
   Jean-Louis