Re: [alpine-devel] Switching back to OpenSSL

From: William Pitcock <nenolod_at_dereferenced.org>
Date: Fri, 12 Oct 2018 08:00:54 -0500

Hi,

On Thu, Oct 11, 2018 at 12:41 PM Laurent Bercot <ska-devel_at_skarnet.org> wrote:

> >>Are there any good reasons to not switch back to OpenSSL for v3.9?
>
> Please confirm that "switching back" means using the OpenSSL library
> again as a dependency for base packages, and *not* dropping the
> packaging of LibreSSL (that some software specifically depends on).

I prefer to drop the packaging, there are serious ABI problems when
you combine software that use OpenSSL with other software that use
LibreSSL.

But, I can split out the LibreSSL libtls as a standalone package and
adapt it to use with our OpenSSL packages. It is something we plan to
do in Adélie anyway, so it may as well be incubated upstream.

> If it's the case, I have no objection.

Would the above solution be sufficient to resolve your concerns?

William