Re: [alpine-devel] Stalled patches to aports

From: William Pitcock <nenolod_at_dereferenced.org>
Date: Fri, 12 Oct 2018 09:26:55 -0500

Hello,

On Thu, Oct 11, 2018 at 12:27 PM Oliver Smith
<ollieparanoid_at_bitmessage.ch> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Drew DeVault:
> > I would be happy to volunteer as an Alpine developer, especially if the
> > current patch volume is beyond the capacity of the Alpine team. I know
> > there was some discussion before on getting a process in place for this,
> > is there any movement on that front?
>
> I think Alpine would benefit greatly from that, both of having you
> helping out as well as having a defined process for onboarding new
> developers.
>
> Natanael, what can we do to establish such a process?

There is already a process.

Alpine Developers (those who hold voting rights and commit rights in
the project), who are already mentoring contributors can sponsor
nominations for new developers to be considered by the core team. The
core team decides to approve or reject the nomination. I wrote a bit
about the latest revision to this process last year.

Anyone who isn't a developer yet either hasn't been nominated or has
had their nomination rejected, a good way to get the ball rolling
would be to discuss with the people you are already working with to
get changes reviewed/accepted in Alpine. If they are Developers, they
can provide feedback as to what needs to be improved in order to be
nominated, or consider processing the nomination.

William