Re: [alpine-devel] Help needed for porting rust

From: kpcyrd <kpcyrd_at_rxv.cc>
Date: Mon, 15 Oct 2018 16:09:47 +0000

> Please let me know if you think you will be able to help us port rust
> to any of our currently unsupported architectures within a couple of
> weeks. Otherwise the above packages will be available on x86_64 on the
> alpine v3.9 release.

Can you elaborate what is currently blocking alpine from shipping rust
on non x86_64 architectures? I'm using rust successfully on a few arm
variants I keep as a test farm (with glibc though).

You may also want to have a look at the debian-rust project, cargo and
ripgrep are currently available for quite a few architectures in debian
testing. The architectures that were causing issues are mostly mips
variants, which seems to be llvm related.

Have you tried reaching out to the rust project/community in general? It
seems a lot of people are currently unaware of the issues that alpine is
facing with rust and I think you might have more luck getting people to
contribute.

Thanks for your work!