[alpine-devel] Packaging cross-compilers

<alpine.LFD.2.21.1810191534530.26297@kanala.kunkku.net>

I have prepared a patch set for packaging cross-compilers. You can view
the patches here:

https://git.alpinelinux.org/cgit/user/kunkku/abuild/log/?h=cross
https://git.alpinelinux.org/cgit/user/kunkku/aports/commit/?h=cross&id=725c58c22e8e2a6b91150cb3e42c043e2e7423ae

Feedback is appreciated.

BR,
Kaarle

Timo Teras <timo.teras@iki.fi>
<20181029142407.5ea30e3c@vostro>
In-Reply-To
<alpine.LFD.2.21.1810191534530.26297@kanala.kunkku.net> (view parent)
Hi

On Fri, 19 Oct 2018 15:39:27 +0300 (EEST)
Kaarle Ritvanen <kaarle.ritvanen@datakunkku.fi> wrote:

> I have prepared a patch set for packaging cross-compilers. You can
> view the patches here:
>
> https://git.alpinelinux.org/cgit/user/kunkku/abuild/log/?h=cross
> https://git.alpinelinux.org/cgit/user/kunkku/aports/commit/?h=cross&id=725c58c22e8e2a6b91150cb3e42c043e2e7423ae
>
> Feedback is appreciated.

The idea and implementation looks mostly good to me. Few comments:

- Ideally, the native build would be done first (as it is done now) and
  the cross-compiler build is done later (filter out the native ctarget)

- This affects produced .apk files. The other abuild actions should be
  updated too e.g. cleanpkg, cleanoldpkg and listpkg.

- I'm thinking if the list of cross-targets should be per-package
  instead of per-git repository. I think this list is mostly needed for
  binutils+gcc (as clang supports all targets from single build).
  Though I think there's arguments also for keeping it in repository.

- How about the cross-compilers that target non-alpine setup like AVR
  (community/gcc-avr) or bare-metal arm (we had patches to
  testing/gcc-arm-embedded which are maybe not merged)?

Thanks,
Timo