Re: [alpine-devel] apk: package "grouping"?

From: Bobby Bingham <koorogi_at_koorogi.info>
Date: Tue, 13 Nov 2018 12:12:45 -0600

On Tue, Nov 13, 2018 at 07:18:51PM +0200, Timo Teras wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I generally do my own meta-packages and host internal repository. This
> allows also updating the meta-packages pretty easily.
>
> Doing apk/world.d/ or similar is an interesting idea too. But I need to
> think about it more. Mostly it's if there's an use case where this
> works better than the meta-packages in own repository.
>
> Thoughts?

This sounds a lot like the concept of package sets in portage, and is
one of the things I miss the most coming from Gentoo.

One place I find it useful is when trying to build a piece of software
that isn't packaged. I need to install a number of *-dev packages that
I'll just uninstall after I get the build working. There may be a large
number of them, and I may keep discovering more dependencies as I go,
both of which make it harder to keep track of the packages to uninstall
at the end. By adding them via a package set, it becomes trivial to
just uninstall the whole set at the end.

I do have a local package repository, but creating a throw away package
whose entire purpose is to be easy to uninstall has always seemed like
overkill.

--
Bobby