[alpine-devel] Docker 18.09.0 available as aport

Bernhard J. M. Grün <bernhard.gruen@gmail.com>
<CALV+NPkpqGBqv8knOsHnjhz6+B4FD-MY-sxyWN3A2tuS3U7UDQ@mail.gmail.com>
Hey,

I just finished packaging Docker 18.09.0 (release on 2018-11-08, see
aports). To do this I had to split out containerd and runc into own
packages - as they should no longer be directly packaged into the docker
main package (according to the release notes of docker).

One advantage of this new packaging will be that one is able to run
containerd and / or runc without using docker. I think I already read some
comments / wishes about this on IRC.

One could also use another container runtime instead of runc in the future
- together with docker or without docker. So maybe we will see some more

I would like to maintain these packages in the future. If noone is against
it (@ncopa ?). The next regular release of docker will be 19.03 somewhere
in march / april 2019 BTW.

Freundliche Grüße / best regards

Bernhard J. M. Grün
<20181127123601.1e845428@ncopa-desktop.copa.dup.pw>
In-Reply-To
<CALV+NPkpqGBqv8knOsHnjhz6+B4FD-MY-sxyWN3A2tuS3U7UDQ@mail.gmail.com> (view parent)
On Fri, 23 Nov 2018 12:13:47 +0100
Bernhard J. M. Grün <bernhard.gruen@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hey,
>
> I just finished packaging Docker 18.09.0 (release on 2018-11-08, see
> aports). To do this I had to split out containerd and runc into own
> packages - as they should no longer be directly packaged into the docker
> main package (according to the release notes of docker).
>
> One advantage of this new packaging will be that one is able to run
> containerd and / or runc without using docker. I think I already read some
> comments / wishes about this on IRC.

I think this sounds like a good idea, in general. the only thing I
think can be a challenge is that docker may require a very specific
version of containerd and runc.

> One could also use another container runtime instead of runc in the future
> - together with docker or without docker. So maybe we will see some more
>
> I would like to maintain these packages in the future. If noone is against
> it (@ncopa ?). The next regular release of docker will be 19.03 somewhere
> in march / april 2019 BTW.

this is ok with me. thanks!

-nc

> Freundliche Grüße / best regards
>
> Bernhard J. M. Grün

Bernhard J. M. Grün <bernhard.gruen@gmail.com>
<CALV+NP=eZx_kwswf0apTqzmwky1bSZy6Xf6BFRvYLiE6JwQP+A@mail.gmail.com>
In-Reply-To
<20181127123601.1e845428@ncopa-desktop.copa.dup.pw> (view parent)
Am Di., 27. Nov. 2018 um 12:36 Uhr schrieb Natanael Copa <
ncopa@alpinelinux.org>:

> On Fri, 23 Nov 2018 12:13:47 +0100
> Bernhard J. M. Grün <bernhard.gruen@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > Hey,
> > One advantage of this new packaging will be that one is able to run
> > containerd and / or runc without using docker. I think I already read
> some
> > comments / wishes about this on IRC.
>
> I think this sounds like a good idea, in general. the only thing I
> think can be a challenge is that docker may require a very specific
> version of containerd and runc.

Yes. That could happen. But I don't think this will happen because docker
did major work to get rid of internal dependencies on containerd and runc.
And if it ever happens that there is a new version of containerd or runc
that wont be compatible with docker for a longer time we could surely also
create a second version of containerd if really needed.
It also seems that other distributions package it in the same way.

best regards,

Bernhard J. M. Grün
Reply to thread Export thread (mbox)