[alpine-devel] Re: openrc crashes

From: Phil Hofer <phil_at_sunfi.sh>
Date: Sun, 30 Dec 2018 01:46:28 +0000

Steffen,

I ran into some crashes in openrc recently as well.
(Once I ran my reproducer in gdb, I saw that openrc was tripping
the stack-smashing protector.)

I went through the source and made some reliability fixes,
which have now been committed upstream:

846e46 -- fix 4 out-of-bounds reads
084877 -- fix stack buffer overrun (my issue)
a9fc26 -- fix NULL dereference

Try building the latest version of openrc and see
if your issues persist. (You'll have to take some patches
from aports in order for it to build cleanly, or you
can build from my aports tree:
https://github.com/philhofer/aports/tree/master/main/openrc)

If you're able to reproduce a crash locally, run the
reproducer under gdb and see if you can at least grab
a stack trace. Building with some hardening options turned
on will help crash the program closer to the memory corruption.

- Phil