Date: Thu, 21 Feb 2019 23:42:02 +0100
From: Morten Linderud <foxboron@archlinux.org>
To: anthraxx@archlinux.org
Cc: santiago@archlinux.org, rgacogne@archlinux.org, jelle@archlinux.org
Subject: Improving cross-distribution security

Hi, I'm Morten from the Arch Linux security team.

There are a lot of community linux distributions with adhoc security teams that
work on an best effort basis. A lot of time is spent on the same tasks. For
example tracking down if a patch has been backported to a linux-stable release,
and which commit fixes which specific CVE and so on. The main goal of this
effort is to alleviate the workload of vulnerability tracking by means of
information sharing as there's plenty of overlap on each of the distros'
efforts.

We strongly believe better collaboration between distributions can help all
users' security. While all distributions hold different priorities for their
development, timely vulnerability tracking and remediation of upstream projects
is one that is a clear win for all of them. Alpine, Red Hat, NixOS and SUSE have
replied positively on this idea and we now reaching out to other distributions
that may wish to participate.

#### Goals:
- Improve overall distribution security and collaboration
- Share knowledge in regards to issues, mitigations and patches
- Help younger distributions establish security teams

#### Non-goals:
- The project has no intention of replacing the open-wall distros/oss-security list.
- The project has no intention of replacing distro security teams, but rather enrich them

We have created the IRC channel ##distro-security on freenode that will function
as a cross-distribution channel to discuss security issues. The goal of this
channel is not to replace team channels, but work as a high signal-to-noise
place where people can ask for information, patches and advisories. The channel
will also work for further discussions how to improve collaboration between
distribution teams.

#### Projects contacted on BCC:
- SUSE
- Alpine Linux
- Guix
- NixOS
- Manjaro
- Gentoo
- Void Linux
- Debian
- Ubuntu
- QubesOS
- Red Hat
- Clear Linux
- Slackware
- Mageia

This is meant to be an open project. If there are any distributions missing from
the above list, please don't hesitate forwarding this email or replying with
contact information.

We are excited to hear back from distributions about thoughts, concerns or
suggestions on this project.

Cheers,
Arch Linux Security Team

Chloe Kudryavtsev <toast@toastin.space>
<809b52be-9b7a-6e9b-4a57-0ea1c0118954@toastin.space>
In-Reply-To
<X0NH0pqQNbp4KxGwVG0Vn8SxS6ZzVGgyLPIU1oBkJTew3rJcfgNBPK7fuPAicqZPwBbf3bDLsm3TE2M_qMcVBvOvbWBLuWnMH1DuFu37-oY=@duniel.no> (view parent)
On 3/1/2019 7:45 PM, Daniel Isaksen wrote:
> This is a great initiative, and we really need to get Working Groups (WGs) /
> Special Interest Groups (SIGs) formally set up. A while ago, I created a draft
> document[1] describing how to create and operate them. If you strongly
> disapprove of Google, email me, and I can return you a PDF copy.
>
> So, I'll be short: what do you, the Alpine developers, think of this proposal?
> Could any of you help me with said document? I am on the (somewhat loosely
> defined) 'infrastructure team', so I will be able to help out with the technical
> aspect.
>
> My personal opinion is that we need a team of (at least semi-)dedicated people
> on a Security SIG to first and foremost:
> - Maintain a security advisory program as a service for Alpine users.
> - Make sure we are properly tracking and patching new vulnerabilities, both
>    through open-source intelligence and information sharing with other
>    distributions.
>
> [1]: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1TIGk24yLdoAC-JAH7IQzCAkxzX_YocUiHVbeSt-WZsk/edit?usp=sharing

I disagree with your outlined approach, for various reasons.
After a discussion over on IRC, we agreed on a more general team-based
management approach.
Please find the resulting draft proposal here[1].

We also both agreed that something along these lines must be done, for
many reasons.
Kaniini has also expressed preemptive support in #alpine-devel.

Hopefully, a deeper and more detailed discussion will take place (likely
over IRC) within the next few days.

[1]: https://p.toastin.space/F7MDfw?asciidoc

Daniel Isaksen <d@duniel.no>
<20190301214806.47a05e54@ncopa-desktop.copa.dup.pw> (view parent)
[...]

-----
Sincerely / Med vennlig hilsen,
Daniel Isaksen <d@duniel.no> (https://duniel.no)

> [...]

>     distribution teams.
>

> #### Projects contacted on BCC:
>

> -   SUSE
> -   Alpine Linux
> -   Guix
> -   NixOS
> -   Manjaro
> -   Gentoo
> -   Void Linux
> -   Debian
> -   Ubuntu
> -   QubesOS
> -   Red Hat
> -   Clear Linux
> -   Slackware
> -   Mageia
>

>     This is meant to be an open project. If there are any distributions missing from
>     the above list, please don't hesitate forwarding this email or replying with
>     contact information.
>

>     We are excited to hear back from distributions about thoughts, concerns or

Re: [alpine-devel] Teams and organisation (WAS: Fw: Improving cross-distribution security)

<20190314171131.5afe7af0@ncopa-desktop.copa.dup.pw>
In-Reply-To
<809b52be-9b7a-6e9b-4a57-0ea1c0118954@toastin.space> (view parent)
On Fri, 1 Mar 2019 21:19:01 -0500
Chloe Kudryavtsev <toast@toastin.space> wrote:

> > My personal opinion is that we need a team of (at least semi-)dedicated people
> > on a Security SIG to first and foremost:
> > - Maintain a security advisory program as a service for Alpine users.
> > - Make sure we are properly tracking and patching new vulnerabilities, both
> >    through open-source intelligence and information sharing with other
> >    distributions.
> >
> > [1]: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1TIGk24yLdoAC-JAH7IQzCAkxzX_YocUiHVbeSt-WZsk/edit?usp=sharing
>
> I disagree with your outlined approach, for various reasons.
> After a discussion over on IRC, we agreed on a more general team-based
> management approach.
> Please find the resulting draft proposal here[1].
>
> We also both agreed that something along these lines must be done, for
> many reasons.
> Kaniini has also expressed preemptive support in #alpine-devel.
>
> Hopefully, a deeper and more detailed discussion will take place (likely
> over IRC) within the next few days.
>
> [1]: https://p.toastin.space/F7MDfw?asciidoc

This has been suggested before. Wilcox had some good points and
suggestions[1].

And we need this badly. We are not lacking volunteers, but problem is
that I have become in a position that everything blocks on me. I want
fix that.

What would be the simplest way to get this started? We already have a
semi-team for infra, with Carlo as team lead.

We could probably also get a docs team running immediately, with Chloe
as team lead.

That would be a good start I think.

[1]: http://lists.alpinelinux.org/alpine-devel/5811.html
[2]: http://lists.alpinelinux.org/alpine-devel/6215.html

Re: [alpine-devel] Teams and organisation

Chloe Kudryavtsev <toast@toastin.space>
<7d0e3f9f-8f5a-1926-02c8-4fdee7a614c0@toastin.space>
In-Reply-To
<20190314171131.5afe7af0@ncopa-desktop.copa.dup.pw> (view parent)
On 3/14/2019 12:11 PM, Natanael Copa wrote:
> This has been suggested before. Wilcox had some good points and
> suggestions[1].

I agree with the following points:
- People can often identify with their specific project even moreso than
with the distribution.
- Having dedicated teams for languages - this isn't necessary, but is
very useful when there is sufficient interest.

However, I have several issues with the idea being presented there.
Specifically:
- Some level of formality is needed - this helps avoid a bottlenecking
situation, and enforces separation of tasks (minimizing
context-switching and thus increasing total throughput).
- A license-oriented team likely isn't needed per-se. We have since
started using the SPDX license list, so the remaining bits can be
handled by the core and aports teams (depending on the specifics).

The reality is that that suggestion was made in the middle of 2017, and
the situation has changed, but it's certainly something to look at.

> And we need this badly. We are not lacking volunteers, but problem is
> that I have become in a position that everything blocks on me. I want
> fix that.

It also means that you (and other core/infra developers) tend to be
extremely busy.
One of the goals would be to lessen your load (and allow you to, at the
same time, be more efficient at the things that you *do* still do :) ).

> What would be the simplest way to get this started? We already have a
> semi-team for infra, with Carlo as team lead.
>
> We could probably also get a docs team running immediately, with Chloe
> as team lead.
>
> That would be a good start I think.

Currently, the plan (as discussed in #alpine-docs, because that's where
the conversation happened to have happened) is to have a meeting on
Sunday, 14:00 GMT.
I'm currently composing a proposed agenda for it.

During it, things such as the initial teams should be decided, after
which (likely Monday) a final version would be submitted for approval by
the core team.

Once approval happens, I'll initialize a developer-handbook repository
(even if it'll likely be a bit until more things get added to it) and
populate it with everything that'll have been decided during the meeting
(and potentially revised during the, hopefully short, approval process).

As a side note, I agree with your initial set of teams, though I think
the core and aport teams should also be made at the start, along with a
full member listing.