[alpine-devel] Normalizing Python packages in aports

From: Drew DeVault <sir_at_cmpwn.com>
Date: Wed, 6 Mar 2019 14:25:02 -0700

I'd like to start working on normalizing the Python packages in aports.
The quality of Python packages is pretty hit-or-miss: many packages have
only Python 2 support, split packages are addressed inconsistently, and
checks() are missing on most.

I've put together a proposal on the wiki for Python packaging standards.
If we like this proposal, the next step would be applying these
standards to the existing packages in aports. I'll compile a list of
affected packages and some simple scripts to help track progress/todo
and we can get started in a separate branch.

Here's my proposal for packaging standards:

https://wiki.alpinelinux.org/wiki/Python_package_policies

Another issue we'll have to face soon enough is Python 2 end-of-life. Do
we want to address this at the same time? I think the best balance of
conservatism and speedy removal of python 2 would be:

- Stop adding new python 2 packages to aports
- As we normalize existing packages, drop python 2 if it's easy, or make
  a note if not
- Make case-by-case judgement calls on the more difficult packages,
  based on the upstream's progress/amicability towards a python 3 port.
  Upstreams which are unwilling to port to python 3 should probably just
  be dropped.

If we bikeshed too hard on the Python 2 deprecation let's drop it and
focus just on normalization for now - it'll be easier to deal with
Python 2 from a sane baseline anyway.

Thoughts?

--
Drew DeVault