Re: [alpine-devel] Normalizing Python packages in aports

From: A. Wilcox <awilfox_at_adelielinux.org>
Date: Sat, 9 Mar 2019 19:48:43 -0600

On 03/06/19 15:25, Drew DeVault wrote:
> Another issue we'll have to face soon enough is Python 2 end-of-life. Do
> we want to address this at the same time? I think the best balance of
> conservatism and speedy removal of python 2 would be:
>
> - Stop adding new python 2 packages to aports
> - As we normalize existing packages, drop python 2 if it's easy, or make
> a note if not
> - Make case-by-case judgement calls on the more difficult packages,
> based on the upstream's progress/amicability towards a python 3 port.
> Upstreams which are unwilling to port to python 3 should probably just
> be dropped.
>
> If we bikeshed too hard on the Python 2 deprecation let's drop it and
> focus just on normalization for now - it'll be easier to deal with
> Python 2 from a sane baseline anyway.

Hi Drew,

We (Adélie) are already shipping only Python 3. (Actually, We have been
since 2016.)

At one point there was interest in merging these changes in to Alpine
but as we continued to diverge and there was some tension with Alpine
core devs (I'd rather not rehash) we never did. Our Wiki still has the
notes I wrote about Python 2->3. They may help you somewhat. Note that
this is current as of June; I don't know how much has changed in aports
in the intervening months.

https://wiki.adelielinux.org/wiki/Project:Harmony/Current_merge_list#Python_2_removal

I hope this helps your efforts in some way. I would like to see Python
2 removed from all distros.

Best regards,
--arw

--