Re: [alpine-devel] unattended installs (WAS: Should `setup-apkrepos -f` if fails.)

From: Natanael Copa <ncopa_at_alpinelinux.org>
Date: Thu, 14 Mar 2019 15:43:25 +0100

On Fri, 8 Mar 2019 17:00:47 +0100
Tuan Hoang <tmhoang_at_linux.ibm.com> wrote:

> I would love to hear opinions from Alpine dev team on this matter.
>
> What's in my mind is something like established method like kickstart
> (and preseed too?).
>
> Something like, you have an init service that watches for kernel parm
> 'auto_inst'. If there is, it starts the automated installer for you (and
> somehow can reuse our setup-* scripts), with a provided configuration
> file. Could be like 'auto_inst=https://yoursite.com/auto_inst.conf'. I
> think this would be a nice fit for Alpine.

We currently have support for "answer" files. This was added as a hack,
and I would like to replace it.

I think it would be cool if you could provide alpine with an coud-init
yaml file and it would install it based on that.

I don't know if cloud-init format is the best or if there are any other
alternatives to consider. I just think we should not invent our own
format for this.