[alpine-devel] Meeting: Teams and Organizations

From: Kevin Daudt <kdaudt_at_alpinelinux.org>
Date: Mon, 18 Mar 2019 20:33:46 +0100

Yesterday (Sun march 17th), we held a meeting on irc in #alpine-meetings
to get the ball rolling on formalizing and expanding the Alpine Linux
team structure like some have proposed on the mailing list.

The two proposals are:

* https://p.toastin.space/F7MDfw?asciidoc
* https://docs.google.com/document/d/1TIGk24yLdoAC-JAH7IQzCAkxzX_YocUiHVbeSt-WZsk/edit

The meetig notes and log can be found here:
https://meetbot.alpinelinux.org/meetbot/meetings/%23alpine-meetings/2019-03-17-14%3A03_Teams-and-Organization.html

---
# Teams and Organization
## Roll Call
* Present: SpaceToast danieli fcolista _ikke_
## Goal of the meeting
* [DRAFT - Alpine Linux SIGs - Google Docs](https://docs.google.com/document/d/1TIGk24yLdoAC-JAH7IQzCAkxzX_YocUiHVbeSt-WZsk/edit)
* [Burning Rubber Paste](https://p.toastin.space/F7MDfw?asciidoc)
* agenda: https://brpaste.xyz/y4fTUg?asciidoc
* Teams help with delegating work. This does require people to be
  available and get the necessary permissions to do their work
* It's also easier for people to join specific subteams
* Teams give more transparency to how the work is divided
* Question: how can we properly delegate access to specific systems?
## Current team structure
* Current documented teams: 1. Core, 2. Infrastructure, 3. Developers
* Proposed teams: Core developers, infrastructure, documentation,
  security, packaging
* For future, discuss QA team for aports
* Agreed: No QA team for now
* Suggested team leads: core: ncopa, infra: clandmeter, documentation:
  spacetoast, security: ncopa, packaging: ncopa
* Core team: Core members, have oversight over project and takes lead over
  packaging and security
* Infra team: Takes care of the Alpine Linux infrastructure (maintaining
  servers and services)
* Packaging team: Members with (limited) access to aports, take care of
  packaging and accepting PRs / patches from the community
* Security team: Takes care of communication with vulnerability reporters,
  maintaining an Alpine security advisory program, and information sharing
  with other projects.
* Documentation team: Create and maintain official documentation for
  Alpine Linux
* [alpine-devel: [alpine-devel] a release engineering team?](https://lists.alpinelinux.org/alpine-devel/6360.html)
* Potential team: Release engineering. Need to find team members / people
  who want to contribute
## Documentation of teams
* Current documentation has a single page with one table per team.
* Initially this format can be copied, but later we might opt to have one
  page per team
* cross-team communication should be stimulated. Therefore, we should opt
  to not have automatic separate communication channels per team.
* Teams can request separate workspaces (namespaces) for collaboration
* Each team may have multiple team leads
## Team membership
* Team membership requirement: The team lead can decide to add team
  members. It's expected that a new team member has already contributed to
  the team and has shown to stay with the project.
* Team leads are decided by existing team leads. A proposed team lead
  should be already part of the specific team or in case of a new team, be
  member of another team.
* Action: provide a list of members to SpaceToast (documentation)
---
Any remarks or suggestions? The idea is to get this documented so it's
clear for everyone what they can expect. An initial version of this
documentation can be found here:
https://beta.docs.alpinelinux.org/developer-handbook/0.1a/
Let me know what you think.