Re: [alpine-devel] Should we drop armhf (armv6) support with 3.10 release?

From: Milan P. Stanić <mps_at_arvanta.net>
Date: Thu, 4 Apr 2019 16:10:25 +0200

On Thu, 2019-04-04 at 11:25, Natanael Copa wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I wonder if can drop armhf (armv6) support with the 3.10 release, now
> that we have armv7?
>
> In practice it means that we no longer support Raspberry PI 1 and Zero.
>
> We will still support those with alpine v3.9 for another year.
>
> I believe dropping armhf (armv6) will save some resources when it comes
> to managing build servers, disk space, spending time on fixing armhf
> specific problems.
>
> We may also optimize the vanilla kernel better for armv7, which
> currently uses same config as armv6.
>
> What do you think, can we drop armhf for v3.10 or should we wait til
> v3.11?

Although I don't use armhf anymore, upgraded last box about two weeks
ago, I think that the armhf is used on a lot of small and old SBC's.
Alpine works very well on these old SBC's because it is small, fast and
not memory or CPU hungry as most other non musl distribution are.

I don't have strong opinion on that, but think a lot of people will be
disappointed if armhf vanished from Alpine.

--
regards