Re: [alpine-devel] abuild and depends in subpackages

From: Max Rees <maxcrees_at_me.com>
Date: Fri, 5 Apr 2019 17:13:03 -0400

On Apr 05 11:06 AM, tcely wrote:
> On Apr 5, 2019 9:43 AM, Natanael Copa <ncopa_at_alpinelinux.org> wrote:
>
> But we need to decide what behavior we want long term: Do we want
> explicitly (always) unset depends or avoid doing depends="$depends
> ..."
> in split functions?
> I would prefer avoid depends="$depends ..."
>
> I would prefer to set origdepends="$depends" before unsetting depends
> for subpackages, at least temporarily until aports can be fixed.
> Another way around depends="$depends ..." is to use a variable like
> depends_dev so that the assignment happens before the split function
> runs.

I took this last suggestion and ran with it to see if it could be
implemented, since it is tangentially related to my ongoing work with
abuildd. If the properties of a subpackage are set outside of its split
function, then it is much easier to introspect all subpackage properties
without trying to parse shell / formatting (very hard) or running the
split function (not possible unless the package is already being built).
This is something I think Natanael mentioned briefly on #alpine-devel.

A logical extension of this idea is to change the format of $subpackages
from the current format of:

$subpackages="$subpkgname[:$subpkgsplit[:$subpkgarch]] ..."

to something like the following:

$subpackages="$subpkgname $variable[ $value...]
  ..."

For example, for iproute2:

subpackages="$pkgname-doc
  $pkgname-bash-completion split bashcomp
  $pkgname-bash-completion arch noarch
  $pkgname-bash-completion depends
  $pkgname-bash-completion pkgdesc bash completions for $pkgname
  $pkgname-bash-completion install_if $pkgname=$pkgver-r$pkgrel bash-completion"

I have what appears to be a working proof-of-concept patch to abuild for
this, albeit not thoroughly tested yet, if anyone is interested in
exploring this further.

Max