Re: [alpine-devel] How to Qt 5 packages are built for architecture aarch64 (i.e. Raspberry Pi 3)

From: Milan P. Stanić <mps_at_arvanta.net>
Date: Mon, 6 May 2019 21:05:49 +0200

Hi,

On Mon, 2019-05-06 at 11:40, Pablo Rogina wrote:
> Hi Milan, thank you for your reply.
> > Alpine build packages native, i.e. not cross build.
> > Although it is not RPi3 for aarch64 but some more powerful ARM64
> > machines.
> Given I don't have "more powerful ARM64 machines" at hand:
> 1. could it be possible to cross-compile those packages under a X86_64
> machine using the Linario binary toolchain [1]?
> 2 do I need to do something special because musl library?
>
> [1] https://releases.linaro.org/components/toolchain/binaries/7.4-2019.02/aarch64-linux-gnu/

Sorry if was not more clear answering your question. I thought you ask
how Alpine builds packages.

Of course, you can build them on RPi3 or other smaller boxes and (as
Rasmus wrote in response to you) under qemu.
Personally I built a lot of them on small ARM SBC's with 1GB RAM, one or
two CPU's and filesystem on SD cards. For smaller packages it works fine
although not fine as on big boxes.

Big packages require more RAM and some tweaks. For example I've built
llvm, rust lang, crystal lang, firefox and some other on ARM64 with 4GB
RAM with help form zram swap and stopping all other processes (Xwin and
similar) and build set to just one job (i.e. not paralel, 'make -j1').
It is slow for such big packages but it works, and slowness is mostly
becuase filesystem is on SD cards. I tried also with SSD attached over
USB-C and then it is somewhat faster.

Now I have both arm machines (arm32 and arm64) with 4GB and eMMC cards
so it is easier for me, but remember when I built most of them under
qemu.

--
regards