Mail archive
alpine-infra

Re: [alpine-devel] Re: New mirror from nenolod

From: Natanael Copa <ncopa_at_alpinelinux.org>
Date: Tue, 14 Feb 2012 08:24:33 +0100

On Mon, 13 Feb 2012 21:13:42 +0100
Florian Heigl <florian.heigl_at_gmail.com> wrote:

> 1. how about a mirror howto like i.e. NetBSD/FreeBSD have?

We have this:
http://wiki.alpinelinux.org/wiki/How_to_setup_a_Alpine_Linux_mirror

The freebsd howto:
http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en/articles/hubs/mirror-howto.html

The NetBSD mirror FAQ:
http://www.netbsd.org/docs/mirror.html

Things that our howto does not yet cover and that might be a good idea
to get written down:

* What is required to become an official mirror?
  - how much disk space is needed?
  - how much bandwidth is required?
  - Who to contact for setting it up?
  - How to set up the contact info (so Alpine Linux team can reach the
    mirror sysadmin)
  - How are outages announced?

I think it might be a good idea to have a record some place with
private contact info (so we can contact the mirror admin), and
location so people can see where its located.

> 2. Does anyone how much traffic are current mirrors are getting?

I do not have any overview of that. sorry. I suppose it Should be
possible to fish out stats from some of the mirrors.

While here...
How about official bittorent seeders for iso images?

There are various trackers we could use (linuxtracker.org for example)
and it is trivial to set up our own tracker. What might need a bit more
work is set up automatic seeding whenever a new iso image is uploaded
and publish it automatically some how. I am pretty sure it is possible
with transmission-daemon/transmission-cli.

Thanks!

-nc