Mail archive
alpine-infra

Re: Proposal for TLS on websites

From: Carlo Landmeter <clandmeter_at_gmail.com>
Date: Sat, 27 Feb 2016 01:17:31 +0100

On 26 February 2016 at 15:38, Nathan Angelacos <nangel_at_alpinelinux.org>
wrote:

> I'm leaning toward letsencrypt and 4096bit certs.

I have been trying letsencrypt today together with Caddy webserver and it
seems an interesting option. I have currently converted my local pound
proxy to caddy and i am serving pkgs.alpinelinux.org from it.

Although its Golang (we dont want any language wars on this list) it seems
as a very interesting and simplified approach to an http server. I have
added it to aports, so people can try it out. The package will probably
need some love, but it should work.

The nice thing about it is, it has the letsencrypt build in, and it will
automatically create the certs for the sites defined and automatically
forward all http traffic to https. Also the configuration is very easy to
understand, and the certs get automatically renewed so no need for any
scripts to run in the background.

-carlo