Mail archive
alpine-infra

Re: Wiki main page: Address how new contributors can create pages with links

From: <copypaste_at_kittens.ph>
Date: Mon, 23 Oct 2017 21:59:54 +0800

I think it would be optimal if the text also described *how* a wiki
contributor gets the permission to add links. Is it something that is
based on time? Edits made? Or is it a highly coveted toggle most
non-core developers or friends of the same should never expect to
receive?

I also think that bothering someone in #alpine-linux is far from optimal
- adding a template to the page would be much better. Such as, e.g.
{{linkreview}}. This could put the article in a category, e.g.
[[Category:Pages needing links reviewed by an experienced editor]]. Then
users who have the permission and who would like to volunteer to convert
links could monitor that category. {{Template:Linkreview}} could also
make some visible notice on the page so an experienced editor reading
the page just as part of her browsing can fix the links even if she has
no interest in monitoring the category.

Your suggestion is good, but needs work. I think that the current method
of "send an email that will be ignored to alpine-infra" is repulsive,
that is to say, it repels, new contributors such as my self. The message
the software gives you is doubly repulsive because it doesn't tell you
who "an administrator" is.

If you don't want to allow links for newly registered accounts, fine, we
understand. But the lack of transparency about how we can become full
editors is not good, and neither is a suggestion to go off-wiki to an
IRC channel or a mailing list when all of this can be handled within
MediaWiki.

I have lots of MediaWiki experience and would be happy to explain
further how templates and categories can be used to help this problem,
and would be more than willing to contribute better messages to new
editors. The question is if you want my help or not - and given my
reception (or lack thereof) on this ML, I'd say you don't.

Best regards,
Fred Brennan <copypaste_at_kittens.ph>
Github: _at_ctrlcctrlv