Mail archive
alpine-infra

Building unofficial packages on Alpine build infrastructure?

From: Oliver Smith <ollieparanoid_at_bitmessage.ch>
Date: Tue, 24 Oct 2017 22:47:00 +0000

Dear Alpinists,

at least Timo Teras[1] and William Pitcock[2] have proposed, that the
Alpine package building infrastructure could be used for unofficial
Alpine packages, when "the new build infrastructure [is] in place".

So postmarketOS[3] is a thin layer on top of Alpine, that provides
packages to make it work on mobile devices. Currently every user is
compiling these from source, but we would be very grateful if we could
use Alpine's infrastructure for building binary packages. That way we
could focus more on actual development and giving back to Alpine (e.g.
together with Adélie, we're currently upstreaming KDE), instead of
duplicating the effort.

For reference, here[4] are our current aports. Especially the device
folder makes no sense to be upstreamed. We will not build packages that
contain closed source blobs (our firmware aports will be refactored to
download these files at installation time[5]).

Thoughts?

Best regards,
Oliver Smith

[1]: Timo Teras: "This would allow several improvements: - would
simplify us supporting contributed ppa type aports trees our infra would
build" <https://lists.alpinelinux.org/alpine-devel/5427.html>
[2]: William Pitcock: "Once we have the new build infrastructure in
place, I am sure that we could arrange for derivatives to make use of
it. But I will need to talk with the infra team before committing us to
that." <https://github.com/postmarketOS/pmbootstrap/issues/663#issuecomment-333352865>
[3]: <https://postmarketOS.org>
[4]: <https://github.com/postmarketOS/pmbootstrap/tree/master/aports>
[5]: <https://github.com/postmarketOS/pmbootstrap/issues/797>