Mail archive
alpine-infra

Re: Building unofficial packages on Alpine build infrastructure?

From: Natanael Copa <ncopa_at_alpinelinux.org>
Date: Fri, 27 Oct 2017 18:13:01 +0200

On Tue, 24 Oct 2017 22:47:00 +0000
Oliver Smith <ollieparanoid_at_bitmessage.ch> wrote:

> Dear Alpinists,
>

> at least Timo Teras[1] and William Pitcock[2] have proposed, that the
> Alpine package building infrastructure could be used for unofficial
> Alpine packages, when "the new build infrastructure [is] in place".

replacing the building infra is a big project. I don't know how much
time it will take, and so far the progress have been slow.

> So postmarketOS[3] is a thin layer on top of Alpine, that provides
> packages to make it work on mobile devices. Currently every user is
> compiling these from source, but we would be very grateful if we could
> use Alpine's infrastructure for building binary packages. That way we
> could focus more on actual development and giving back to Alpine (e.g.
> together with Adélie, we're currently upstreaming KDE), instead of
> duplicating the effort.
>
> For reference, here[4] are our current aports. Especially the device
> folder makes no sense to be upstreamed. We will not build packages that
> contain closed source blobs (our firmware aports will be refactored to
> download these files at installation time[5]).
>
> Thoughts?

I am glad to have you around I want help if we can. I have already have
use for the apk string version compare implementation that you wrote in
python.

What are your exact needs? Build servers on what architecture(s)?

Where do you want upload the built packages?

Do you mind if we follow this up after the v3.7 release?

Thanks!