Mail archive
alpine-infra

Re: Building community/cargo, build-edge-x86_64 is stuck

From: Jakub Jirutka <jakub_at_jirutka.cz>
Date: Mon, 30 Oct 2017 18:07:49 +0100

> If this is the case, then it, too, is no longer policy compliant.

Said who? These policies are (still) not written anywhere, so I follow what I was told by competent people like ncopa or fabled.

> Manual intervention on the builders does not seem like a good idea to me, which is probably why it’s not compliant with policy.

I agree, but I haven’t created this approach.

> I suspect the ghc-bootstrap package was dropped because of the depsolver bug I solved back in April.
> The bootstrap package would have a provides entry for the compiler with a version of 0.
> This would allow the real compiler to always „win" the preference.

No, it was dropped because it was partially broken (I reviewed it) and actually not used (per fabled). I remember that quite well, ’cause I wasted amount of time trying to figure out how does it work, to be then told it’s not used at all.

> Instead, lets solve these problems correctly, please.

The problem is that I don’t know what is the correct solution. That’s why I asked ncopa or fabled.

> Indeed, the only thing we have learned today is that Haskell is also broken.

And maybe even gcc, ’cause it also depends on itself… Or you have just wrong information. gcc is also handled somehow specially, if I remember correctly what fabled told me.

So please, don’t interfere into it and wait for reaction from ncopa or fabled.

Jakub