Mail archive
alpine-infra

Re: [alpine-devel] Improving Alpine Linux's email stack

From: Drew DeVault <sir_at_cmpwn.com>
Date: Thu, 4 Apr 2019 09:53:43 -0400

Was going to respond to this yesterday, but got distracted with
packaging concerns.

On 2019-04-03 12:07 PM, Natanael Copa wrote:
> > lists.sr.ht is free & open source software[0] (AGPL) and can be hosted
> > on Alpine infrastructure,
>
> The AGPL is not my favorite license due to it may scare off companies.

So? Alpine isn't a company...

> What is the strategy for dealing with spam? If a spam message gets
> through, can it be deleted from the archive? (I believe some spam is to
> get higher search engine ranking).
>
> Can you send to the mailing list without being subscribed, and have
> those messages moderated? We currently moderate messages from
> non-subscribers.

Yes, but this is currently a manual process. I'm working on better
moderation controls now, I just added ACLs for banning users or having
restricted-posting lists. Up next is removing emails from the archive
and automatic moderation for non-subscribers. I'm also working on more
spam mitigation techniques, like rejecting emails with invalid DKIM
signatures and other validation checks, expecting the poster to have a
well behaved mail server.

> Does this require subscribers to have yet another user account/password?

No, you just need an email address to participate on the list. You need
an account to create and manage lists, but not to post.

> > Patches are given special treatment on the archive, with patchworks-like
> > highlighting, links to specific lines & files, and so on:
> >
> > https://lists.sr.ht/~sircmpwn/alpine-aports/%3C20190312025245.20168-1-sir%40cmpwn.com%3E
> >
> > A gerrit-like interface for doing patch review on the web or via email
> > is planned to be implemented within the next few months, at least in its
> > basic form - which should provide a nice alternative to patchworks.
>
> Can this be integrated with gitlab?

No. I have some ideas about how to do this, but they're somewhat
complicated and will take time. If Alpine moves to lists.sr.ht, I'll
make this a priority.

> This is very appreciated. I don't have any objection to replace the
> mailing list software, but I want the infra team to decide.

Aye, ultimately it's the infra team's decision, and I'm happy to answer
any questions about lists.sr.ht or mailing list maintenance in general
from them.