Re: [alpine-user] A suggestion and two questions

From: Donald Allen <donaldcallen_at_gmail.com>
Date: Sat, 14 Nov 2015 12:53:23 -0500

On Sat, Nov 14, 2015 at 12:17 PM, Natanael Copa <ncopa_at_alpinelinux.org> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On Fri, 13 Nov 2015 09:14:23 -0500
> Donald Allen <donaldcallen_at_gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> I am experimenting with Alpine and while I am very pleased with the
>> stability and performance of the system, I've encountered some
>> frustrations in getting questions answered. I would like to suggest
>> that the 'Forums' link on the main alpinelinux.org and other pages be
>> removed. The 'Community' link takes you to a page that provides
>> descriptions and links to *all* options for communicating with the
>> Alpine community, including the forums, together in one place, as they
>> should be. The presence of the separate 'Forums' link, prominently
>> displayed near the 'wiki' link, is a confusing distraction; it can
>> give a sense that the forums are the main way (or the only way, if the
>> 'forums' link catches your eye first, as it did mine) to talk to the
>> Alpine community. This is clearly not the case; answers to questions
>> are not forthcoming there, as I expressed in frustration in my last
>> post.
>
> This is a good point. We should change that.
>

>> My questions: the package browser indicates that there are both tcl
>> and tk (8.6) packages available in the 'main' repository. However,
>> only the tcl package is present in the main repositories on the
>> dl[2-5] mirrors. So my first question is why is the tk package
>> missing?
>
> I don't think tk is missing:
>
> http://dl-3.alpinelinux.org/alpine/edge/main/x86_64/tk-8.6.4-r0.apk

That's correct. See my exchange with ScrumpyJack in the General
Discussion forum.

> Maybe you were looking in the stable repositories?

Yes, that's correct. That seems like a reasonable thing to do, if one
wants a 'stable' system.

> Seems like tk moved to main repo 2015-06-09, after v3.2 was
> branched:
>
> http://git.alpinelinux.org/cgit/aports/commit/?id=c5afb05a2f9e0b6919d1614f283d36cde3a0e317
>
>> The second question is why does the package browser say one
>> thing and the repository another? One would think that the database
>> used by the browser would be generated from the ultimate source of the
>> truth, namely the repositories.
>
> Maybe because package browser only shows packages in edge
> (development), and not in the stable (production) repositories?

No, it shows packages from both edge/main and 3.2/main (stable). But
in the Repositories column, it simply says 'main'. So if you search
for tcl, which is in 3.2/main, you're told it's in 'main'. If you
search for 'tk', which is in edge/main, you are told it's in 'main'.
They are different 'mains'!. This was the source of my confusion. If
the edge repositories are going to have the same names as the stable
ones, and the package browser searches both, then the package browser
ought to show the fully qualified names of respositories, e.g.,
edge/main, 3.2/main, etc.

/Don