Re: [alpine-user] Re: How are security updates handled

From: Donald Allen <donaldcallen_at_gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 4 Apr 2016 12:30:17 -0400

On Mon, Apr 4, 2016 at 12:12 PM, Rodrigo Campos
<rodrigo.campos_at_restorando.com> wrote:
> On Wed, Mar 23, 2016 at 2:55 PM, Rodrigo Campos
> <rodrigo.campos_at_restorando.com> wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I'm interested in using alpine linux for docker containers, but I'm
>> not sure how security updates to packages are managed. I read the site
>> and wiki and didn't find it (but I might have missed something).
>>
>> I see usually alpine linux releases are supported for more or less two
>> years, although v3.3 seems to be 1.5 years[1]. Is it expected that
>> new releases are supported for 1.5 years? Or is there any written
>> policy that I can check and didn't find?
>>
>> Also, how are security updates handled to any X package in an some
>> supported alpine linux release? If some package is not supported
>> upstream anymore, it's up to the alpine linux maintainer of the
>> package to back port the fix to the supported alpine linux release? Is
>> there an alpine linux security team? Or how is this handled? And
>> again, is there any written policy about this? :)
>
> Ping?

It has been my experience with Alpine that getting answers from
knowledgeable people, much less the developers, is nearly impossible.
It's too bad, because in theory, this system has something to offer.
In practice, because of the communication issue, as well as problems
with the system, I have ceased to take it seriously. Your message is a
reminder to remove myself from their mailing list.