Re: [alpine-user] What / Where is the License?

From: Natanael Copa <ncopa_at_alpinelinux.org>
Date: Mon, 23 Oct 2017 10:08:47 +0200

On Fri, 20 Oct 2017 17:21:19 +0000
Brent Shaffer <betterbrent_at_google.com> wrote:

> I must be going crazy. On the about page, FAQ, and in the source code, I
> cannot find any recording of what the LICENSE is for Alpine Linux. Is this
> intentional, or am I missing something?
>
> Thanks
> - Brent

It depends a bit how you define Alpine Linux, because we have different
release iso images and docker image and all of the "releases" includes
different combinations of packages, which all have different licenses.

For example, the linux kernel itself is GPLv2 [1]. The C library, musl is
MIT[2], apk-tools is GPLv2, busybox is GPLv2. apk and busybox will also
link to zlib which is ZLIB license[3]. apk also links to libressl which
uses the OpenSSL license[4].

We have many packages in our main and community repository which uses a
big variation of licences, so if you consider those packages to be a
part of "Alpine Linux", you'll get a much longer list of licenses.

You can get an exact list of licenses you are using with this command:

  apk info | xargs apk info -q --license

I hope that helps.

1: https://www.gnu.org/licenses/old-licenses/gpl-2.0.en.html
2: https://opensource.org/licenses/MIT