Re: [alpine-user] What / Where is the License?

From: William Pitcock <nenolod_at_dereferenced.org>
Date: Mon, 30 Oct 2017 11:13:34 -0500

Hi,

On Fri, Oct 20, 2017 at 12:21 PM, Brent Shaffer <betterbrent_at_google.com> wrote:
> I must be going crazy. On the about page, FAQ, and in the source code, I
> cannot find any recording of what the LICENSE is for Alpine Linux. Is this
> intentional, or am I missing something?

Linux distributions are combined works, and therefore the 'license' is
a combination of all software packages installed on the system.

You can ask apk to tell you what licenses apply to your installation:

    apk info | xargs apk info -q --license | sort | uniq

While I understand that this isn't a good answer for a lawyer, it is
unfortunately, the actually correct answer.

We could, and probably should, add a page to the alpine website
explaining how licensing applies to a distribution, as this comes up a
lot.
Something like https://www.debian.org/legal/licenses/ would be a
reasonable starting point for inspiration.

William