[alpine-user] Multiple initramfs appears not to work

From: Andrew Stuart <andrew.stuart_at_supercoders.com.au>
Date: Wed, 3 Jan 2018 06:33:42 +1100

Hi folks,

I want to pass multiple initramfs file to Alpine on boot.

The architecture document says it supports such behaviour:
https://wiki.alpinelinux.org/wiki/Architecture
"The kernel will decompress the stream of compressed cpio archives passed to it by the 'append' bootloader option to the root of 'rootfs', a tmpfs automatically mounted at '/' by the kernel at boot."

As far as I can tell, Alpine appears to ignore all except the first initramfs.

I’ve searching the web extensively to find any syslinux.cfg example that does this for Alpine Linux but can find none, so I’m wondering if it has ever been tested or known to work.

I’ve tried a variety of different ways of specifying in syslinux.cfg but none of them seem to work. Here is an example of one such config.

SERIAL 0 115200
TIMEOUT 20
PROMPT 1
DEFAULT virthardened

LABEL virthardened
MENU LABEL Linux virthardened
KERNEL /boot/vmlinuz-virthardened
INITRD /boot/initramfs-virthardened,/boot/rootfs_overlay_initramfs.gz
DEVICETREEDIR /boot/dtbs
APPEND modules=loop,squashfs,sd-mod,usb-storage quiet console=tty0 console=ttyS0,115200

Is anyone able to help me get Alpine to load more than one initramfs?

thanks

Andrew