Re: [alpine-user] Multiple initramfs appears not to work

From: William Pitcock <nenolod_at_dereferenced.org>
Date: Sun, 7 Jan 2018 13:24:56 -0600

Hi,

On Tue, Jan 2, 2018 at 1:33 PM, Andrew Stuart
<andrew.stuart_at_supercoders.com.au> wrote:
> Hi folks,
>
> I want to pass multiple initramfs file to Alpine on boot.
>
> The architecture document says it supports such behaviour:
> https://wiki.alpinelinux.org/wiki/Architecture

Unfortunately that page needs to be deleted, because it's basically
fantasy land.

> "The kernel will decompress the stream of compressed cpio archives passed to it by the 'append' bootloader option to the root of 'rootfs', a tmpfs automatically mounted at '/' by the kernel at boot."
>
> As far as I can tell, Alpine appears to ignore all except the first initramfs.

That is because the bootloader and kernel do not really work this way.
I spent several months trying to explain this to the author of that
Wiki page.

> I’ve searching the web extensively to find any syslinux.cfg example that does this for Alpine Linux but can find none, so I’m wondering if it has ever been tested or known to work.
>
> I’ve tried a variety of different ways of specifying in syslinux.cfg but none of them seem to work. Here is an example of one such config.
>
> SERIAL 0 115200
> TIMEOUT 20
> PROMPT 1
> DEFAULT virthardened
>
> LABEL virthardened
> MENU LABEL Linux virthardened
> KERNEL /boot/vmlinuz-virthardened
> INITRD /boot/initramfs-virthardened,/boot/rootfs_overlay_initramfs.gz
> DEVICETREEDIR /boot/dtbs
> APPEND modules=loop,squashfs,sd-mod,usb-storage quiet console=tty0 console=ttyS0,115200
>
> Is anyone able to help me get Alpine to load more than one initramfs?

It is not really possible, sorry.

William