Re: [alpine-user] Trying to get Wireguard to work

From: Natanael Copa <ncopa_at_alpinelinux.org>
Date: Wed, 7 Feb 2018 02:46:18 +0100

On Wed, 7 Feb 2018 10:03:25 +1100
Andrew Stuart <andrew.stuart_at_supercoders.com.au> wrote:

> I’m a noob with Alpine. Can you point me in the right direction of
> how to do that? I am currently using a kernel and initramfs from ISO
> on the Alpine downloads page…. do you mean that these kernels not
> have the required drivers in them for wireguard?

Correct. wireguard drivers were considered "unstable" at the time we
cut the v3.7 release so they are only available via edge/testing repo
which means you need to run the kernel from edge/main repo.

> I am booting Alpine in a run-from-ram configuration, loaded purely
> from the kernel and initramfs. I am guessing you are saying I need to
> install new kernel drivers…. does that work in a pure run from ram
> config?

The simplest thing to do would be to make a traditional disk install,
and upgrade this to edge (in theory you can run setup-alpine, and
select "none" for disk, edit /etc/apk/repository and change all 'v3.7'
to 'edge', and then run `setup-disk`, and then select the disk you want
install it to.

If your run-from-ram boot media is writable (disk of some sort), then
you should be able to edit /etc/apk/repository (change to 'edge') and
then run update-kernel to recreate the boot/ directory of your boot
media, with the latest kernel. You also need to include the
wireguard-vanilla driver in the boot/modloop-vanilla loopback file. I

> >> The version of linux-vanilla and wireguard-vanilla must
> >> correspond.
>
> How can I check that I am running corresponding versions?

`uname -a` will tell you the running kernel version. `apk search
wireguard-vanilla` will tell you the version of the kernel driver.