Re: [alpine-user] Lack of a minimal documentation on Alpine's overall architecture, run-from-RAM feature, mkinitfs, modloop etc.

From: Steffen Nurpmeso <steffen_at_sdaoden.eu>
Date: Tue, 10 Apr 2018 20:45:18 +0200

Joshua Haase <hahj87_at_gmail.com> wrote:
 |Steffen Nurpmeso (2018-04-10 13:56):
 || Joshua Haase <hahj87_at_gmail.com> wrote:
 |||From a newbie perspective, you can think of it as a way to mount files
 |||as if they were disks.
 || There was or is TinyCoreLinux, where packages are not unpacked and
 || installed, but kept as balls and the simply mounted in via modloop.
 |
 |I think that is done using unionfs over loop devices (at least i think
 |that's how slax did it). But the analogy still applies.

I have forgotten how it worked, actually. Linux has bind mounts
(now, and is very, very cool in that respect), FreeBSD has nullfs.
Do not ask me no questions...

..But, just in case you refer to some ML thread long ago and
somewhere else: i continue not to like unionfs if that prevents me
from using getdents*(2) because mess in userspace is used to
overcome some filesystem shortcomings. ..That cannot be
represented as secondary "whiteout" files. I want getdents. What
is wrong with getdents? I would also take the same bytestream via
open(2)..read(2), but that is more and more forbidden, everywhere.
Last that i have seen who changed it was OpenBSD.

 |Hope this clarifies some things for Timur.

Yeah, i realized he will not be able to get anything from that,
but then the message was away for some time already.

--steffen