Re: [alpine-user] AlpineLinux on Banana Pi?

From: Jean-Louis Fuchs <ganwell_at_fangorn.ch>
Date: Wed, 18 Apr 2018 16:45:17 +0200

Hi Steffen

On Tue, Apr 10, 2018 at 08:57:23PM +0200, Steffen Nurpmeso wrote:

> Thus my question: does anyone have experience with Banana Pi, does
> it work with AlpineLinux? Will patches to enable zstd also there

Well even the state of the linux-rpi is not too good. It has deviated from
the official raspi-kernel too much.

https://github.com/raspberrypi/linux

1. Not being up to date
2. Not being close enough to defconfig

make bcmrpi_defconfig (for raspi 1 and 0)
make bcm2709_defconfig (for raspi 2)
make bcmrpi3_defconfig (64bit for raspi 3, aarch64)

https://bugs.alpinelinux.org/issues/6370

I recently decided to try again to build a kernel for the raspi that is
more close. You can cross compile on alpine using
aports/scripts/bootstrap.sh $ARCH

You can also use https://github.com/multiarch/qemu-user-static to test
packages, which is not relevant to the kernel, but interesting if you
need to compile user-space programs.

If you build a kernel for yourself using abuild its quite fast, you
can be sloppy here and there. If you plan to submit the kernel to
alpine its going to be a lot of work (see aports/linux-vanilla) and
issue 6370.

> Will patches to enable zstd also there be accepted?

If the Banana Pi hardware is so badly upstreamed like Raspberry Pi you
have to create linux-bpi. If it is close enough to Raspberry Pi and I
ever submit my Raspi-Kernel to Alpine, patches are probably ok.

> What about a browser. Etc. etc. :-))
> What do you say? Anyone?

I had no problems browsing with the raspi because of memory [1], the
problem was that linux-rpi does not support OpenGL and it was not
smooth. Again see issue 6370.

[1] 32-bit and musl-libc save a lot of memory.

Best,
    Jean-Louis