Re: [alpine-user] ipw2200 wireless

From: Riccardo Mottola <riccardo.mottola_at_libero.it>
Date: Thu, 10 May 2018 00:05:36 +0200

Hi,

Paul Zillmann wrote:
> I believe it's due to the license.

can't we have the equivalent of nonfree or some kind of switch?
The firmware is available for debian, gentoo most linux distributions I
know as some BSDs. A kernel driver without firmware is ... a little user
unfriendly.

> But you can find that file(s) in the Debian repositories under
> /debian/config/ipw2x00/ in the tar file.
> Debian puts it under /lib/firmware/ipw2200-[bss/ibss].fw
>
> http://http.debian.net/debian/pool/non-free/f/firmware-nonfree/firmware-nonfree_20161130-3.debian.tar.xz

I unpacked put the files and now my wireless works! so it is "only" a
matter of firmware.

Thanks

Riccardo